[lug] SMB mounts?

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Tue Mar 6 07:58:31 MST 2001

I use something like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=andrew,password=<passwd>,gid=#,uid=#
//servername/sharename /linux/mount/path

Using gid and uid gets around the root thing.  I do run this command as root
(well, sudo).

--
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin [mailto:glow at jackmoves.com]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 19:48
To: BLUG list
Subject: [lug] SMB mounts?

I am having problems mounting my windowsME shares with uid and gid
permissions to my linux workstation. I can mount the shares just fine using
the command:
/bin/mount -t smbfs -o username=glowecon,password=<passwd> //glowecon/e
/home/files/windows/e
I do this as root so consequently I can only delete files as root, not my
normal user which I am logged in as. I tried the uid=username gid=groupname
parameters but nothing seems to be working. The man pages for mount and
smbmount don't seem to be helping. Should I be doing this in a different
way, /etc/fstab or something? I basically want to have access to my windows
shares and have rw access to them. Is smbmount the best approach to this?
TIA!

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com