[lug] autoconf/automake

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Mar 6 15:52:36 MST 2001

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> I'm trying to convert a project for autoconf/automake, primarily on
> >> Linux. I'm having problems getting the setup to recognize
> >> subdirectories when looking for source files.
>
> In general I recommend asking autoconf questions on `autoconf at gnu.org'
> and automake questions on `automake at gnu.org'.

I fear the high volume these lists must get, but am going to join them
in a few minutes.

> >> If I include a SUBDIRS line in
> >> Makefile.am, it apparently ignores this, and ./configure will end up
> >> saying:
> >> configure: error: can not find sources in . or ..
>
> I believe this means that the file you mention in the argument to
> AC_INIT does not exist.
>
> >> Can anyone here tell me how to set up subdirectories if the base of the
> >> project has a subdirectory "src", and that in turn has a subdirectory
> >> for a particular program (several programs in the package) in
> >> subdirectory "server"? E.G., ./src/server/ has a project, ./src/client/
> >> has a project. Subdirectories seem to break everything.
>
> In configure.in:
>
>     AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile src/client/Makefile src/server/Makefile)
>
> In top-level Makefile.am:
>
>     SUBDIRS = src
>
> In src/Makefile.am:
>
>     SUBDIRS = client server
>
> Tom

Yes, my whole AC_OUTPUT was incorrect, this got me a step further.

The need for a multiple project setup complicates the use of this tool.
This is where I type in "./configure --with-more-brains
--angels-fear-to-tread-here".

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com