[lug] export displays was: VNC on Linux

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Wed Mar 7 07:31:52 MST 2001

Once upon a time the default setup was such that on a local machine I
could import a gdm/X session from another machine.

For example, on host1 I could import the display from host 2 by doing
this from a tty

host1% X :1 -query host2

and then on host1:0 I would have an gdm login for host1 and on host1:1 I
would have an gdm login for host2.

Now when I try and do this I get the checked background and the X cursor
and nothing else.

What's the magic to get this work?  I have tried enabling xdcmp in
gdm.conf.  On host2 I have tried adding lines for additional displays.
Don't know what else to do.

Hugh