[lug] sendmail question: LUSR_RELAY problems

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Wed Mar 7 16:43:48 MST 2001

Hi all -

I can't seem to get some of my boxes to relay using the "LUSR_RELAY" option
properly.  It's as if they're picking their relay based on MX and not what I
tell them.

Some quick background.  We've been using this feature for a looong time now
on our Solaris box.  It is _still_ working (ie, relaying to the specified
server.)  We just put up a new Dell server running RH6.2 to do our viruswall
and I swear that a week ago it was relaying properly.  Now it's relaying to
the highest priority server listed for our domain and seems to be completely
ignoring what I've told it to relay to.  I've tried an unmentionably HUGE
amount of things, and I just can't figure it out.  In fact, I may not be
totally coherent because I've been working on this so long.

Some infrastructure (names have been changed to protect the innocent):
-Intended LUSER_RELAY destination -->  relay.foo.org
-LUSER_RELAY (in all .mc's) -->
     define(`LUSER_RELAY',`relay:relay.foo.org')dnl
-relay.foo.org -->  MS Exchange bridghead
-all sendmail boxes mentioned use a .cw including their name and foo.org
domain
-solarismail.foo.org --> Solaris running straight sendmail 8.9, configured
to LUSER_RELAY to relay.foo.org (he's getting retired and is only a
fail-over system right now.)
-mail1.foo.org --> Dying NT Viruswall that scans incoming and outgoing then
forwards it to solarismail.foo.org for delivery (don't ask, it's a seriously
weird work around.)
-mail2.foo.org -->  RH6.2 with Viruswall and Sendmail (viruswall pipes to
sendmail when it's done it's thang.)
-mail2.foo.org -->  Sendmail configured to LUSR_RELAY to relay.foo.org
-foo.org -->  MX 10 mail1.foo.org, MX 20 mail2.foo.org

Here's what's happening:
-If I send a mail through solarismail.foo.org in any way shape or form, it
is properly relaying based on the LUSER_RELAY to relay.foo.org and all is
well.
-If I send an email through mail2.foo.org, it identifies that it needs to
relay, but it ignores the server I put in the LUSER_RELAY statement and ends
up relaying to mail1.foo.org (which of course send it back to
solarismail.foo.org and it gets delivered, but this isn't good.)  I assume
it's getting this from the MX record.  I've tried using the same .mc and
necessary files on a different RH7.0 machine configured identically and it
won't work either.  I've also launched _just_ sendmail without viruswall to
try to eliminate that as a problem and it's doing the same thing.

I'm literally so brain fried that there's a good chance I'm missing
something incredibly obvious.  There's also a good chance that I'm leaving a
lot out, so feel free to ask for more info.  I am getting by butt seriously
kicked by this problem and will be greatful for any help you can give me.  I
really do swear that this was working only a few days ago and nothing I can
think of changed.

I'm including the pertinent configuration files used on the RH6.2 box and
the solaris box so that you can see exactly what I've done.  (I apologize,
this is going to be very long.)

------ Configs on the RH6.2 box -------
------ foo.org.mc
divert(-1)
#
<... snipped comments ...>
#

divert(0)dnl
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')
define(`LUSER_RELAY',`relay:relay.foo.org')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(subd1.foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(subd2.foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(subd3.foo.org)
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')
FEATURE(relay_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')
FEATURE(`local_procmail')
FEATURE(`access_db')
EXPOSED_USER(root, postmaster)
MAILER(procmail)
MAILER(smtp)
------ /etc/mail/access (makemap has been run)
# Check the /usr/doc/sendmail-8.9.3/README.cf file for a description
# of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
# The /usr/doc/sendmail-8.9.3/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
# package.
#
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain		RELAY
localhost				RELAY
127.0.0.1				RELAY

# Allow relaying from maxtor.com domains (this is redundant with
# the relay_entire_domain option in the mc, but just in case...)
foo.org				RELAY
subd1.foo.org			RELAY
subd2.foo.org			RELAY
subd3.foo.org			RELAY
192.6					RELAY
------ sendmail.cw
foo.org.
subd1.foo.org.
subd2.foo.org.
subd3.foo.org.
mail2.foo.org.

------ Configs on the solaris box -------
------ foo.org.mc
divert(-1)
#
<... comments snipped ...>
#

divert(0)dnl
OSTYPE(solaris2.ml)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
define(`LUSER_RELAY',`relay:relay.foo.org')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(foo.org)dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(subd1.foo.org)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(subd2.foo.org)