[lug] Local Open Source Project Leads/Managers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 7 22:03:21 MST 2001

Early apologies for rambling.

I have an interest in a game project, which is currently under
discussion of redesign. I recently converted old C code to a C++
version, with the intent of redesigning it in parts, which is turning
out to be slow. But the short explanation is that there is interest in
creating an OpenGL version and starting with a client and server that
use some of the old ideas, but not much of the original code.
http://www.battlefieldlinux.com

Your particular project is interesting, because it mentions something
designed from the base up to work with 3D code via OpenGL.

Unfortunately, the web page is difficult to read; my Netscape shows the
fonts as tiny and not very good resolution, even though I've tried to
force both fixed and variable width fonts to 24 point (I'd estimate that
http://www.3dwm.org/frameset.html is showing up at approximately the
same size as a 6 point font, and lots of aliasing). Basically, some of
the web pages are not readable (I'd have to do a copy and paste to vi or
something to see what it says). Contrary to all the above whining, I am
able to read the php pages, which apparently use a different font (it's
still small, but I can read most of it).

What I am curious about is that this says it is not a window manager.
But it appears it requires an X11 server in the background. Is it
possible to run all the regular applications in this environment? Can
something like the gnome ORB and security methods still be used?
Requirements show the need for cavelib to be installed, but not
multiprocessor...I happen to run a couple of SMP machines, I'm curious
if the 3dwm works well with SMP?

I guess my main problem with trying this all out is that cavelib appears
to be commercial only.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com