[lug] Upgrading AMD *

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Mar 8 13:46:16 MST 2001

I'm ready to upgrade a 333MHz AMD K7-2 and have never bought a CPU
before. I was wondering if i could get some input on the best way to do
this. The way i see it is I only have one simple option. Stay with the
K7-2s. I spent an hour or so looking last night and found that it's the
only upgrade I can do with a Super Socket 7. The Athlon, Durons and K-7
IIIs are all Socket A from what I can gather. But I am getting a little
overwhelmed since this is very new territory.

So the K7-2s only go up to 550MHz. I found a 533 for $48 and I can't see
going $20 for another 17MHz on a machine that's gonna be a firewall next
year. Going from a 333 to a 533 will I need to jumper anything for the
Voltage? Is that the "core voltage" in the specs?

Anyone know of any better way to do this or any options I may have
missed?

Another thing is I have a 233 in a machine and the BIOS peak at 266.
Would a BIOS upgrade, if available, up that a little so i can use the
333MHz in there (do BIOS do that?)? If so would it bottleneck anyway? I
have switched the processors actually so i know it'll work but it seems
there were some wierd issues as a result, and I'm thinking a BIOS
upgrade may fix that?

Thanks,

john