[lug] AIC-7890 SCSI Controller

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Fri Mar 9 12:37:17 MST 2001

We're running some PowerEdge 2450's here on RH6.2 and have been super lazy
using the Dell Quick Start CDs.  They actually do a really nice job in my
opinion and work like a charm.  (Then again, we're only using them for SMTP
servers and don't have terribly custom requirements.)  I just go and remove
packages that I don't need and tweak it into being perfect rather than
manually building.

If that model comes with a quicky CD you may want to give it a try.  If
you're like I was, you threw them away initially and never gave them a
chance.  :)  But, I accidentally discovered that they're pretty good one day
when I was in a rush and used it.  It also pays to contact Dell and request
the newest if yours have been around for a few months.  We purchase enough
Dell servers here that we see them updating every couple of months (with
worthwile stuff...)

Alternately, I'd agree that text mode is the next way to go.  I've seen it
get through a lot of machines that wouldn't work in gui install mode.