[lug] Apache SSL/certs

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Mar 9 14:58:47 MST 2001

I once asked this on the apache newsgroup, and never had an answer,
maybe someone here can say. When installing Apache with SSL, such as is
available by default in the RH 7.1 beta, it comes with some sample certs
and a signing cert, the snakeoil stuff. Information for creating new
certs is fairly clear, but one thing I wonder about is that none of
these certs are used directly. All of them have symbolic links to them,
which appear somewhat random, and designed somewhat like a key in their
naming. Are these symbolic link names unique to a given Apache compile?
Or are they unique to keys/certs? If I generate new keys, is it enough
that I keep the same sym links but have them point to my new certs? FYI,
this server is internal network only, it is firewalled from the outside,
but it is useful for testing ideas on before putting them up on a public
server.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com