[lug] KRUD upgrade issue

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Sun Mar 11 15:43:31 MST 2001

This is kinda funky. I upgraded a RH 6.1 machine to the latest KRUD
from last week's meeting. Oddly, none of my users can login via
gdm. It accepted the username/password, acted like it was doing
something, then went back to gdm. I thought it might have been the
dotfiles, so I created a new account and tried to login graphically
with it. It logged in, but no matter what session type I select with
gdm, it doesn't start anything - no wm, no gnome, no kde.

The messages log is:

Mar 11 08:44:57 yoshipond gdm[577]: gdm_slave_session_start: root on :0
Mar 11 08:44:58 yoshipond PAM_unix[577]: (gdm) session closed for user root

(no matter what user, it's the same)

startx from console works fine, as does standard console login.

--
Ken Kinder
www.kenkinder.com