[lug] KRUD upgrade issue

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Sun Mar 11 19:37:39 MST 2001

It looks like RPM didn't replace /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession. I was rolling
my own, but it didn't replace it or leave it -- there was no
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession at all. Very strange. For some odd reason, it
was in no logs that I could find -- I was just tracing the startup.
Thought it was a PAM thing, but I guess not.

Anyway, weird package manager stuff. Thanks anyhow.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 03:55:45PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Ken> This is kinda funky. I upgraded a RH 6.1 machine to the latest
> Ken> KRUD from last week's meeting. Oddly, none of my users can login
> Ken> via gdm. It accepted the username/password, acted like it was
> Ken> doing something, then went back to gdm. I thought it might have
> Ken> been the dotfiles, so I created a new account and tried to login
> Ken> graphically with it. It logged in, but no matter what session
> Ken> type I select with gdm, it doesn't start anything - no wm, no
> Ken> gnome, no kde.
>
> Ken> The messages log is:
>
> Ken> Mar 11 08:44:57 yoshipond gdm[577]: gdm_slave_session_start: root
> Ken> on :0 Mar 11 08:44:58 yoshipond PAM_unix[577]: (gdm) session
> Ken> closed for user root
>
> Ken> (no matter what user, it's the same)
>
> Ken> startx from console works fine, as does standard console login.
>
> weird. ;(
>
> Anything of interest in the users ~/.xsession-errors?
> how about in /var/gdm/:0.log?
> or
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> sounds like something is just exiting before it starts your display
> manager. ;(
>
> Ken> -- Ken Kinder www.kenkinder.com
>
> kevin

Ken Kinder