[lug] [OT] AsanteFAST DEC21140 and device driver writers

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Sun Mar 11 22:21:35 MST 2001

I'm working with an AsanteFast and Solaris and I'm able to ping the card
but I can't get connectivity to the hub. If I remember correctly there
were some device driver people for both Solaris and linux on here. I was
wondering if i could get some input.

I'm curious as to how hard it would be to tweak this driver to make it
work. I put it in a Linux box and it loaded the Lite-on|LinkSys
LNE100TX  driver and it's the dnet (tulip, DEC21xxx) driver in Solaris.
Solaris had a porting kit for Linux to Solaris binaries but I've heard
that it was dropped from Sourceforge and also that Sun no longer makes
it available.

Seems to me that if I can ping the card then half of the work is done
and it's a matter of making the output stream go the right ways.

Is that a gross over-simplification? $25 will get me a newer one but I
wouldn't mind spending some time learning how and the ins-and-outs of
device drivers.

Any real world advice?

Thanks,

John