[lug] Re: LUG digest, Vol 1 #851 - 10 msgs

Eric Hillmuth ehillmuth at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 12:05:16 MST 2001

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:28:23 -0700
> From: "D. Stimits" <stimits at idcomm.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] Boulder maps
>
> Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > Try tiger.census.gov
> >
> > The maps are rather good:
> >

> > Evelyn Mitchell
> > efm at tummy.com
>
> Yes, this seems to be what I need. I'm searching now
> for the underlying
> "Tiger" data used, I think I can create my own
> custom bitmapping.
> Thanks.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
>
> --__--__--

You can go after TIGER data here:
http://www.esri.com/data/online/tiger/index.html but
it seems like the site only allows download of a few
counties at a time and registration is required. You
can also get tiger data here
http://goldrush.berkeley.edu/GovData/info/tiger.html
on a state by state basis.

One note here if you really want to get into making
maps from the raw data. I do this kind of mapping for
a living and tend to not use the TIGER data unless I
have too, there is such a thing as too much detail. I
usually use data from
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/atlasftp.html or
http://www.gisdatadepot.com/ for region level mapping.

Of coures once you get a hold of the data you may need
some tools to make a map, http://www.freegis.org is a
good resource for opensource and linux based mapping
apps. GMT and GRASS are both highly regarded but there
is a bit of a learning curve to both. Good luck.

--
Eric Hillmuth
Principal