[lug] AIC-7890 SCSI Controller

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Mar 12 15:04:28 MST 2001

Dhruva Reddy wrote:

> Thanks to those who replied to this post.  The problem
> turned out to be a bad SCSI cable.
>
> I have a new problem--
>
> I updated the kernel from 2.2.14 to 2.2.18, and when I
> try to boot the new one, it cannot seem to mount the
> root file system, and the kernel panics.
>
> I have tried enabling support for:
> -SCSI
> -The AIC-7xxx driver
> -RAM disk
>
> Can anyone think of anything I am missing?  I cannot
> seem to find a checklist or procedure in any of the
> HOWTOs.
>
> Many thanks,
> Dhruva

It depends on what the error is. If this is loaded as a module, you'll
also need to make sure an initial ramdisk (mkinitrd) is specified in
lilo.conf (or whichever boot loader). If you want scsi on root
filesystem, I'd strongly recommend compiling it directly into the
kernel, rather than as a module.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com