[lug] Re: LUG digest, Vol 1 #851 - 10 msgs

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Mar 12 15:07:30 MST 2001

Eric Hillmuth wrote:

> > --__--__--
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:28:23 -0700
> > From: "D. Stimits" <stimits at idcomm.com>
> > To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> > Subject: Re: [lug] Boulder maps
> >
> > Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > Try tiger.census.gov
> > >
> > > The maps are rather good:
> > >

> > > Evelyn Mitchell
> > > efm at tummy.com
> >
> > Yes, this seems to be what I need. I'm searching now
> > for the underlying
> > "Tiger" data used, I think I can create my own
> > custom bitmapping.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
> >
> > --__--__--
> >

> You can go after TIGER data here:
> http://www.esri.com/data/online/tiger/index.html but
> it seems like the site only allows download of a few
> counties at a time and registration is required. You
> can also get tiger data here
> http://goldrush.berkeley.edu/GovData/info/tiger.html
> on a state by state basis.
>
> One note here if you really want to get into making
> maps from the raw data. I do this kind of mapping for
> a living and tend to not use the TIGER data unless I
> have too, there is such a thing as too much detail. I
> usually use data from
> http://www.nationalatlas.gov/atlasftp.html or
> http://www.gisdatadepot.com/ for region level mapping.
>
> Of coures once you get a hold of the data you may need
> some tools to make a map, http://www.freegis.org is a
> good resource for opensource and linux based mapping
> apps. GMT and GRASS are both highly regarded but there
> is a bit of a learning curve to both. Good luck.
>
> --
> Eric Hillmuth
> Principal
> Digital Meridian
> http://www.digitalmeridian.net
> Phone: 303-809-8972
> Fax: 303-443-9427

I've bookmarked these links. I'm debating between writing my own
(probable) or using tools. Basically the tiger data is suitable for SQL
format (my prior job revolved around SQL and geocoding, but used
unsuitable proprietary API's from Autodesk or MapInfo). I'm trying to
think of non-plugin/non-activeX means of doing some minor interaction
with custom maps. Needless to say, it is a lot of work.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com