[lug] Slow runnings on KRUD7 w/ 2.4.2 and KRUD7 router.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Mon Mar 12 16:36:22 MST 2001

I'm running two KRUD7 boxes. 1 is just routing and filtering and is a
stock kernel and the second is a gnome desktop running 2.4. I am also
viewing my work on an iMac which is routed by the first box. The iMac is
running usual speed consistently using all the normal net protocols.
But the gnome box has some very serious lag at times with all the
protocols. I'm in vi on a remote server and it's getting really
annoying. Like taking up to a minute per space when it moves, at times,
then 20 minutes later it will fly. The only thing I can reproduce so far
is when I restart it will come up fine.... then ten minutes later I'm
dead in the water again.

Memory is at approx 40 percent and CPU is fine. I guess the router isn't
to blame since the iMac is fine. Windoze on this dual boot was fine last
night, while the gnome boot was lagging just before. This has been going
on for two days and i don't think I made any major changes, in fact i'm
pretty sure, same kernel, NIC (via-rhine), everything.

Anyone know what else i could look at to track this down?

Thanks,

john