[lug] What I really want ...

lpotter ljp at llornkcor.com
Mon Mar 12 19:58:27 MST 2001

>I've noticed that some distributions are trying to rename XF86Config to
>XF86Config-4 when using XFree86 4.x instead of 3.x. The Redhat 7.1 beta
>does this, and I was being frustrated by failing changes to
>/etc/X11/XF86Config for a while before I realized there was a -4
>version.

I counted a total of 5 different XF86Config's strewn about different
directories , including ~/ ( some named like XF86Config.pm). SuSE also uses
XFC or something  when its edited with sax, or is it sax2. I even renamed
them all, and X sill started! Amazing! I dunno, highly confusing. At least
with the tarballs, I know exactly where everything is. I tend to install
the tarballs for important packages like XFree86, GLIBC, and so on. Rpm's
are nice for a quick binary install of some minor package, but I like to
know where everything is going.

ljp

p.s. if anyone is interested, I started a new sourceforge project, KHDRec2,
a port of KHDRec, The KDE Hard Disk recorder. to KDE2.

The source is there, it compiles, but needs work on opening projects.
I added some cool control buttons, and plan on incorporating plugins.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/khdrec2