[lug] Re: [CLUE-Tech] Setting up a running list of IP masqerade entries...

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 08:19:08 MST 2001

I'll have to look into this one also.

Thanks to all who replied...
I created a script that combines a couple of the suggested approaches:

#!/bin/sh

echo 'enter string to grep'
read grepstring

while :
  do
    clear
    netstat -Mn | grep $grepstring
    sleep 5
  done

exit 0

I found that the listing was getting too long on the console and so I
decided to add the ability to only display certain entries using grep.
Eventually I think I'll work on a larger script that will log certain
connections to a file that I could then print out (or just send it directly
to a dot-matrix printer.)  I'll probably want to add a way to exit or change
what's displayed without exiting the script, but this crude piece works for
now.

I used 'netstat -Mn' so the display wasn't waiting for name resolution.

Brian