[lug] Slow runnings on KRUD7 w/ 2.4.2 and KRUD7 router.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Mar 13 15:54:17 MST 2001

Thanks Dan.

Like a moron I was trying to get away with aliasing the eth0 card until I
could get an ISA NIC for my cheap 100 MHz machine with one PCI slot (the
router). The iMac was running fine so I didn't think it was the cause. I did
a traceroute and found that the packets would be ok 50% of the time and the
other tries would make it to the first remote router and come right back. The
third entry was my router in those traces. So I switched them and everything
is fine.

I guess the headers were getting crammed because of the same MAC address for
the two addies ( eth0 and eth0:1 ) one being a reserved IP. Cheapskate 101:
The Essentials: getting what you pay for.???

John