[lug] Re: Virtual Hosting

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Mar 14 10:41:06 MST 2001

Well, you *could* do that.

I guess what I'm saying is that BIND doesn't really do anything special
for virtual hosting.

Just for example, if you have your apache server set up to host
www.domain1.com and www.domain2.com, you just set up those two domains
in BIND in the normal fashion, but you point the IP addresses in the A
records to the same IP address...

So just for example sake, you'd have the following in your named.conf file:

zone domain1.com {
	type master;
	file "domain1.zonefile.whereveryouwantit";
}

zone domain2.com {
	type master;
	file "domain2.zonefile.whereveryouwantit";
}

In those files you'd have normal BIND zone files that would look like:

[snipped SOA record]

$ORIGIN domain1.com

@
	IN A	111.222.333.444 ; IP of virtual host1
		IN MX 10  mail.domain1.com.
mail 		IN A	222.333.444.555 ; IP of mail server
www
	IN A	111.222.333.444 ; IP of virtual host1

And in the other file:

$ORIGIN domain2.com

@
	IN A	111.222.333.555 ; IP of virtual host2
		IN MX 10	mail.domain2.com.
mail
	IN A 	222.333.444.555 ; IP of mail server
www
	IN A	111.222.333.555 ; IP of virutal host2

That's if you're running separate IP's on the virtual hosts.  (Which is
not recommended by ARIN.  The only reason you ever need to do this
nowadays is if the sites are SSL-enabled because SSL certificates are
tied to the IP address and name of the server they came from.)

If you want to save some time and all the servers use the same IP, leave
the $ORIGIN statement out of the zonefile and make a master file and
symlink your "real" domain names to that master.

That's one way to do it anyway, there's a whole lot more.

Are we on the same page?  BIND doesn't care if you're doing virtual
hosting or not.

Nate