[lug] Printing

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Mar 14 10:52:33 MST 2001

If your distribution has it (and you're running with X turned on)
RedHat's printtool seems easier than most tools or setting up printcap
files by hand.

It's not 100% intuitive, but we can help here on the list if you need it.

You need to specify exactly what kind of LaserJet printer.  It has
filters for many older models and most can be used for modern LaserJet's
also.  I've found that the LaserJet 4/5/6 driver for Ghostscript (the
program that printtool is actually setting up "underneath") usually
product some kind of output on almost any modern LaserJet, as long as
it's not one of the "Windows printers" that require special software.

You also need the correct kernel modules loaded to access the parallel
port on your machine if that's what you mean by "local".  (i.e. Not a
network printer or print server.)

When faced with a new printer I've never set up in printtool, I find
that the "reload lpd" and "test" menus get used a LOT for a few minutes
until I find something that has reasonable output.  :-)

Nate