[lug] Re: Virtual Hosting

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 14 15:25:44 MST 2001

Given our hypothetical scenario (where there is not a 1-to-1 mapping of name-to-address, rather a many-to-1 mapping), you're basically forced to pick one of those names for reverse lookup purposes, aren't you?  What would be the alternative?

A typical client app provides an IP address to the server upon connection (in the form of an IP source address).  The order of lookups (for a paranoid server) is then address -> name, and then resulting-name -> address, not the other way around as you suggested.  Servers are generally happy when address(in) == address(out), as you correctly stated, but that condition is satisfied by setting your PTR RR value to any one of the set of valid A RR keys.