[lug] Printing

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 14 15:48:05 MST 2001

Shannon Johnston wrote:

> No error at all.
>
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > One other thing I forgot to ask. If you monitor /var/log/messages with
> > tail -f -n 30 /var/log/messages, and then do this as root:
> > cat /dev/lp0
> >
> > I would expect an error message both on the command line and inside of
> > /var/log/messages. Does this occur?
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

No error at all makes me wonder if lpd is running at all. Try this:
ps aux | grep lpd

Or if you have Redhat, cd to /etc/rc.d/init.d/, and run "./lpd status".
A lack of error message might mean logging is set up wrong or
differently than standard, or it could mean lpd isn't even running.

Did you say at one point ascii printing works? What happens if you take
a short text file, and do "cat file.txt > /dev/lp0"? How about just "lpr
filename.txt"?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com