[lug] Local Open Source Project Leads/Managers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 14 15:53:20 MST 2001

"Riggs, Robert" wrote:

> Two things:
>
> Regarding the font problem, generally it occurs when web designers/tools set
> pixel (px) font sizes in their style sheets, instead of point (pt) sizes.
> Your 8 pixel font might look fine on your 1024x768 screen (or under Windows,
> which doesn't really allow pixel sized fonts, per se), but it will look like
> a small smudge on my 1600x1200 screen. One other problem is that Netscape's

FYI, I am running 1600x1200 on one monitor, 1280x1024 on another. I
suspect that Netscape has a flaw when trying to override font sizes and
they are specified in pixel size, as you mention above.

> default font scaling is too severe. Adding the following to my ~/.Xdefaults
> file really helped: "Netscape.documentFonts.sizeIncrement:  15".
>
> I would recommend that anyone considering CORBAfying their software stay
> away from ORBit, if at all possible. In its current incarnation, it is not a
> fully functioning ORB. However, it is one of the only ORBs with C bindings
> available. I've been using omniORB for a bit and am very happy with it. It
> will work well for anyone needing C++ or Python bindings. I was really glad
> to see this project using it.

It would be interesting to see dual support for both ORBit and omniORB.
My reason being that many gnome/gtk apps will support ORBit without
modification, whereas each app would require optimization to run under
omniORB. What would be even more interesting is if gnome could be made
to run correctly (without quirks) under omniORB, or even to write an
interface to allow omniORB and ORBit to transparently talk to each
other.