[lug] Email questions

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Mar 14 16:14:06 MST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Terry Branaman wrote:

> I don't know if this has been covered before, I don't remember seeing
> anything about it.

Oh this pops up from time to time.

> I would like to use my Linux box at home to retrieve my email from various
> POP3 accounts (including the one through my ISP and one at work)

I'd recommend you take a look at fetchmail.  This works well for my home
machine, and as I recall you can set the .fetchmailrc file to POP from
more than one server.

> and make it available both at home (via internal network) and away. I
> do not have a domain name, so I don't believe that I can have mail
> sent directly to my Linux box.

We need more info to help with this part of the question.  The
"available" at home via the internal network shouldn't really be a
problem.  The tricky part is the remote access if you don't have a domain
name, or as I'm guessing is more correct, a static IP?  Do you have a way
to remotely access your system now?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)