[lug] Email questions

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Mar 14 16:44:37 MST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Terry Branaman wrote:

> I have a Linux box with a static IP that I am using as a gateway (I use
> ipchains to filter and to masquerade my internal network) to multiple
> machines in my home, and as an FTP server. I don't use the gateway as a
> workstation, so I want to read the mail from one of the other machines at
> home. In order to access the FTP server from outside I use the static IP
> address, which is what I assume I would have to do with my mail client when
> I'm away from home.

OK, sounds like you've got the hard parts solved then.

As already noted fetchmail could be used to POP mail from multiple mail
sources.  It would inject the POP'ed mail into the mail server of your
choice in your internal network.  Since you've got a static IP and can
get at your machines from the internet, I think there are lots of options
from here:

   - Remotely log into your machine and read mail (pine, mutt, etc.)

   - Configure your own IMAP or POP server to allow your systems to
     deliver mail to your remote machine when requested

   - Setup a web server and build yourself a web based interface to your
     mail system

   - Have your mail server forward the accumulated mail to an
     established web based mail service (hotmail, yahoo, etc.)

   - (whatever else I've not covered)

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)