[lug] Re: Virtual Hosting

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Wed Mar 14 17:59:55 MST 2001

Say one of those records is like a mail server or something. Shouldn't
you have the ip resolve back to the mail server hostname? I know BIND
will complain about MX address's that are CNAME's and not actual A
records for the zone. The dns resolution will still work properly, but
I think having the PTR for the mail server hostname is the "correct"
way to do things. Or another example that I have experienced setting
up , is in the case of irc virtual hosts. The hostname needs to be a
PTR record otherwise it won't work.

Justin

> The alternative is not to have any reverse records (PTR) at all.
>
> Nate
>
> Quoting John Hernandez <John.Hernandez at noaa.gov>:
>
> > Given our hypothetical scenario (where there is not a 1-to-1
mapping of
> > name-to-address, rather a many-to-1 mapping), you're basically
forced to
> > pick one of those names for reverse lookup purposes, aren't you?
What

To:.