[lug] Sharing Wincrap and Linux partitions.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Wed Mar 14 18:15:58 MST 2001

> You need samba if you are going to have a 2nd machine running and you
> want it to access the windows partition on the first machine. One twist
> would be if you run something like vmware, you would also need it for
> that. For the native linux install, it can access the windows partition
> without samba.

Yeah. I remember seeing that. VMware installed samba. But even at 192 megs
(on a 333) it was too slow.

So really there's no advantage to having a Windoze partition on a linux
machine unless you are running Windoze on that machine as well? Would samba
be faster or slower with a Windoze partition? Seems like it would cut any
conversions from the formula.

John