[lug] KDE Upgrade 1.99 to 2.1.2

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Wed Mar 14 20:07:02 MST 2001

I just went and bought (!) a nice box of Mandrake 7.2 Pro today to replace an
aging RH6.0 install. Mdk7.2 comes with KDE1.99 out of the box which got
installed nicely.

But there are a couple of things about KDE1.99 I don't like, compared to KDE1
which I used before. This may not be a KDE thing but an Mdk thing but ... I
can't seem to cut and paste between xterms or konsoles using 3-button
emulation. The X config files seem to be right, AFAIK.

So I wanted to upgrade KDE1.99 to 2.1.2. I downloaded the 'required' files
from www.kde.com, namely kdebase, kdelibs, kdesupport, kdenetwork, and
kdeutils, but they won't install over the top of what I have. I get messages
like 'kde1.99 requires kde1.99' and whatnot. Do I need to uninstall all but
the basic packages? What's the key to the install order here?

-Mike