[lug] CVS access only

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Mar 15 10:54:34 MST 2001

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Ken> You can also use the passwd file in the CVS directory - then it
> Ken> is used only by the cvs server and has nothing to do with your
> Ken> system files.
>
> This commits you to using the cvs "pserver" access method.  That
> method is not secure.  I recommend using it for anonymous, read-only
> access and nothing else.
>
> Tom

I was just getting ready to ask about this.  I got a book on using
CVS, _Open Source Development with CVS_ by Karl Fogel, and was reading
the section on setting up a password authenticating server.  It appears
that an inetd based method using pserver is all that available then
and that's just one more service that I would have to worry about.
I'd much rather just force everyone to use sshd.

I see that you mention that in your next note, Tom.  So I'll read
it and look at sshd more.

Thanks,

Scott