[lug] Dial up domain and routing question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 15 13:10:15 MST 2001

Quoting "Atkinson, Chip" <CAtkinson at Circadence.com>:

> > Then I also had to add an /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 file with :
> >
> > telluride:ppp
> >
> > Where telluride is the machine that has the modem attached, and ppp is
> > the name of the DNS/hosts entry for the IP I want handed out on the
> > modem line.  I think you can also do this like:
> >
> > 216.233.182.148:216.233.182.149
> >
> > Is what I described what you're trying to do?
>
> Yes, pretty much.  Are the example addresses you give in the same range
> and
> same netmask as the eth0 port on the ppp server machine?  This would
> imply
> to me that you'd have to have a host route instead of net route on the
> ppp
> server's lan, right?

The 216.233.182.148 is the IP of the machine with the modem hanging off of it.
The 216.233.182.149 is the IP I want assigned over the modem line to the PPP
connected machine.

They're both in the same subnet 216.233.182.144/28.

> Would it be possible/reasonable to have the ppp connection IPs as
> 10.x.x.x
> and then have a forwarding rule (or the redirect program) or something
> so
> that you can just use one of the IPs for the ppp connection?
>
> It seems possible if you specify the host in the routing tables.

Well, you could hand out a 10.x.x.x address over the PPP link for sure.  Then
whatever mechanism you have to get that 10.x.x.x NAT'ed or MASQ'ed out to the
Internet if it needs Internet connectivity would be a separate issue.  Whether
or not you can twist the IPCHAINS rules around to MASQ something that is also
being proxyarp'ed through the same machine (if your dial in machine is also
your router?) I don't know.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with CD-ROM's."