[lug] Problem starting XFontServer - newbie

Aaron Braeckel aaron.braeckel at home.com
Fri Mar 16 17:47:37 MST 2001

I'm running RedHat 6.2 on a dual Pentium system.  I have another machine with almost the same hardware and configuration.  Whenever I try to run startx on one of the machines I get the following error:

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

Earlier in the output it prints:

Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" does not exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.

The really confusing thing to me is that the other machine has an identical XF86Config file to the machine that is having problems.  I have done a file comparison to make sure.  Neither of the machines has a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType file or directory but one starts up X and one doesn't.  Does anyone know what might be going on?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron Braeckel