[lug] ls -l /var/tmp = drwxrwxrwt 16 root root 1478656 Mar 19 10:38tmp

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Mar 19 17:54:13 MST 2001

Bob Collins wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>
> Thanks for all the constructive ideas.  I will not rush into
> anything because my machine is working fine and I suspect
> this has been going on for a long time.
>
> I want to understand why they files  being written and why
> they are not being pruned.

Getting an idea of just what file or subdirectory of /tmp/ is actually
building up so large is necessary to know that. The sticky bit makes it
so normally no user can delete a file unless they own it; though I think
root won't care about that (if it does matter and it stops root, then
root can always chmod or chattr it).