[lug] Excellent Rant

Justin Simoni jsimoni at totalsite.com
Mon Mar 19 17:46:21 MST 2001

I have a major problem with this rant and its main example.

Computers *are* tools, and no one builds a house with just a hammer. Using
a tool, (and if I'm not a carpenter) I shouldn't *have* to know how the tool
is created, how  the tool is used, its history, revision, etc. It should be
obvious how to use it and to get work done with it. Using a hammer correctly
is common sense, or you look at someone else use a hammer. Its interface to
a human being is natural. The first tools were nothing but hammers, they
broke off shards of rock to make the second tool, a cutting surface. people
get hammers, its ingrained into us.

 Why should people care what kind of Operating system they have? People use
computers to do work. It makes sense to create software (you carpenters out
there) which is easy to work with. Posts like this just show the bullshit 'i
am nerdier than though' rants of someone that can't communicate with other
people. If you can't communicate with other people, why the hell are you
trying to help them, or even create software other people need to interface
with?

As for the car metaphor, this shows another problem with people. You hear
all the time "I can go 0-60 in 8 seconds" - obviously talking about their
car, but wording it as if they themself do such a task. This is a high form
of  materialism and as far as I'm concerned, so is saying  how amazing you
are at [insert your favorite program here]

js