[lug] Remote printing?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Mar 20 14:05:11 MST 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > Hugh Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you denying access to lpd in some other way (/etc/hosts.deny or
> > > ipchains)?
> >
> > I would add another suggestion along this line...can the one machine
> > telnet to the printer machine? Is it in hosts.allow (this could be
> > temporarily added for testing, then restart inetd or xinetd)?
>
> Yes, I allow telnet because the machines are isolated and it works
> fine back and forth between the two.  I even tried telneting to
> the printer port but got an error similar to
>
> lpd: lp: Malformed from address
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Should that be able to work?

I would guess that this is about the way it should be. It means
something is running on that port, but I can't say whether the error is
from telnet without giving it the right info, or whether that is some
further clue. Obviously there is some protocol that needs to be adhered
to that simply telnetting won't work on with random connects. It also
validates the fact that inetd or xinetd isn't simply refusing the
connection, it goes to some further stage.