[lug] Interesting Crash Report

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Mar 20 17:17:49 MST 2001

Your rpc ports were cracked. Your only real choice is a complete
reinstall, maybe saving data. You might want to search through
/etc/services for the word "rpc" on the new install, and firewall all of
these from any host that isn't guaranteed to need it. Do *not* reconnect
to any network without the most recent version of all nfs utils. Just in
case the cracker didn't remove all log entries, save a copy of any
/var/log/ files, and look for anything near the end that might give you
an idea of who else to firewall.

FYI, I see daily attempts at my rpc ports, especially 111. Some are port
scans, others appear to be actual attempts at entry. Anyone without
*current* rpc programs for NFS, or without properly firewalled rpc, will
get cracked, it is only a matter of time. I've denied about two dozen
/24 domains just because I dislike seeing anything hit port 111 (the
first packet gets them blocked).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com