[lug] Interesting Crash Report

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Wed Mar 21 09:21:31 MST 2001

Nothing like a good security discussion to bring on that
early morning paranoia:  when I run "lsof -i" I get

COMMAND   PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
portmap   109  root    3u  IPv4     58       UDP *:sunrpc
portmap   109  root    4u  IPv4     59       TCP *:sunrpc (LISTEN)
rpc.statd 180  root    0u  IPv4    103       UDP *:781
rpc.statd 180  root    1u  IPv4    106       TCP *:783 (LISTEN)

but my ipchains rules do not accept input packets on ports 111, 781 or 783.

1. Am I safe from attacks on those ports?  (If not, then I've really
missed the point about ipchains!)

2. I know of no reason for another computer to call sunrpc or any
other kind of rpc on my box---is there any harm in turning these
daemons off in /etc/rc* ?  (I would think there would be no harm,
but paranoia makes me ask.)

Thanks,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html