[lug] Interesting Crash Report

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Mar 21 10:49:15 MST 2001

Reinstall and PATCH the box this time! :-)

Never ever ever ever run an unpatched version of Linux on a production
machine.  (And yes, your desktop counts as a production machine!)

In this case, shutting down the "r"services completely and removing them
may have kept someone from being malicious with those binaries, but
they'd have probably found something else to poke at.  Lots of people
load up named who don't need a nameserver on their machine and then get
cracked because they're running BIND 8.2.2 or previous.  (8.2.3-REL is
the only one in the 8.x.x series that's safe right now.)

So the lesson is: Patch at load time and patch often after that.

One of the places where a KRUD subscription or Debian's apt-get upgrade
can be nice... or you can pay RH to use up2date.  :-)

Nate