[lug] ipchains and ntop

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Wed Mar 21 11:49:09 MST 2001

Greetings,

I have a machine that is connected to the lan here at work.  Occasionally I
get a flood of multicast packets from 10.2.10.181 which bogs down my
machine.  I found out what was going on by using ntop.  To stop it, I put in
some ipchains rules that I thought would screen out the problem.  All this
was about 2 weeks ago or longer.  Here's what ipchains -L shows:

[root at northglenn /root]# ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
DENY       all  ------  206.246.40.167       anywhere              n/a
DENY       all  ------  206.246.40.169       anywhere              n/a
DENY       all  ------  10.2.10.181          anywhere              n/a
DENY       all  ------  10.2.20.181          anywhere              n/a
DENY       all  ------  anywhere             10.2.10.181           n/a
DENY       all  ------  anywhere             10.2.20.181           n/a
DENY       all  ------  anywhere             206.246.40.167        n/a
DENY       all  ------  anywhere             206.246.40.169        n/a
DENY       all  ------  anywhere             206.246.40.168        n/a
DENY       all  ------  206.246.40.168       anywhere              n/a
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
[root at northglenn /root]#

Just now I had the same slowdown from the same machine.  Now I'm wondering
if anyone knows why ntop can even see the packets from 10.2.10.181, and yet
it can as ntop shows.

Chip