[lug] customizing redhat install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 21 12:32:23 MST 2001

lpotter wrote:

> At 02:28 3/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >I've discovered that there is absolutely no possible way to install RH
> >7.1 beta directly to a reiserfs partition, even with /boot/ being
> >separated out. Out of frustration with RH reiserfs install problems, can
> >someone tell me where to find a HOWTO on taking the current RH 7.1 beta
> >install cd's and removing its kernels, replacing them with my own?
> >Basically, which files on the install cd's govern the kernel actually
> >used *during* the install, as well as the location of the kernel images
> >and initial ramdisks that the final install will use?
>
> Why not try SuSE > 7 ? It installs reiserfs. Not only that, you'll get the
> the good ole standard gcc. :)

Partly because I have used SuSE in the past, and it hasn't had quite the
X setup I like. The RH gnome setup is exactly what I want on the X
desktop (including X 4.x hardware accel OpenGL), and I write code that
is mainly used by RH users. Now if I get too frustrated with the
reiserfs snafu of RH, I'll still dump RH. It just isn't as pressing of a
need yet.

Since there are KRUD people here (actually a compliment, though is
sounds bad), I was thinking someone might know what is needed to put a
patched kernel in, and maybe set it up for default packages of my own
liking (I'll have cd burner available in about a week, so I can make
changes once and burn it to a cd). I reported several bugs for RH 7.1
beta to bugzilla at RH, many were fixed already; but the reiserfs issue
has been deferred. I don't think RH has a good idea at how many people
will dump them for SuSE if they don't get reiserfs running at the
non-beta 7.1 release.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com