[lug] Weird glibc upgrade problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 21 13:49:39 MST 2001

Additional note to what Michael Pedersen wrote.

glibc is the spinal cord of your machine. Virtually all access to and
from the kernel (aside from direct system calls) are through this. When
an app is running, it might load and cache what it needs in memory, and
deleting the glibc at that point could appear to not be a problem.
However, anything that hasn't already loaded functions it needs is dead.
Always use the rpm -Uvh to upgrade it.

A means to fix it is to boot to a rescue disk, use the chroot command to
change to the root of the real hd partition, and then install glibc
again, using the rescue disk's rpm tool. If you can't get an rpm tool on
the rescue disk, you may need a tarball install through a rescue disk,
followed by an rpm forced install while running on the tarball version.