[lug] More TTF and Netscape

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 21 15:33:49 MST 2001

Gary Hodges wrote:

> The other day I finally got around to installing True Type fonts with the
> rpm someone on the list put together.  After some fiddling around, I now
> view nicer looking web pages with one exception
> <http://cbs.marketwatch.com>.  That page uses a small font of some flavor
> for many of their articles that I seriously can't read with any combination
> of fonts and sizes that I have tried.  I think the site made a change after
> I got TTF installed, because I used to be able to view that site without any
> problems.  The descriptions of the articles on the front page are typically
> written in that unreadable (to me) font.  If someone on the list with TTF
> installed could take a look at that page and let me what font/size combo you
> use, if you can read the text of course, I sure would appreciate it.
>
> Gary

It's fairly unreadable for me too, using the X 4.x, with TTF supposedly
running. What I suspect is this:
.nt1 {color: #ffffff; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serIf;
font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal;}
.nt2 {color: #ffdb7b; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serIf;
font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold;}

I suspect the px notation is something that Netscape scaling doesn't
like to work with. If you like the site, you should email the webmaster
and suggest those font-size spec's don't work on Netscape at higher
resolutions; they could alternatively detect monitor resolution and
offer 18px for higher res monitors on Netscape (Netscape can also be
detected).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com