[lug] Interesting Crash Report

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 21 15:55:15 MST 2001

Deva Samartha wrote:

> Police & FBI?
>
> unless it's a high profile case making headlines (or something to that
> effect) don't expect much.
>
> I had police coming to my house, explained everything, showed traces, how
> the intrusion happened, where it came from, the whole works.
>
> They said they would subpoena the information from ISP's and I would hear
> back from them. I gave them a dump from my harddisk on a disk they
> provided, called them once after a long time and never heard back.
>
> This was way over the head of the people which came.
>
> Estimated damage < $ 5000.-, who cares!
>
> Once I had my machine back up, it took 20 minutes until somebody tried it
> again.
> I traced two, one somewhere in Canada. The intrusion attempt happened on a
> Saturday at 10:30. I wrote to their ISP, they claimed having been intruded
> themselves and had reloaded the system from scratch at 10:45, did they keep
> logs, trying to find out from where it came, what happened - no, nothing.
>
> If you get caught - claim you got intruded and had to wipe your harddisk.
>
> Some dark dark places out there!

Quite true. Sounds like a good basis for a near-future Sci-Fi story that
is a bit on the sinister side. In any case, I suppose local police would
never be worthwhile unless the cracker was also local. FBI would
probably be interested if it was part of some other pattern they were
looking at, and provided the "evidence" was somehow certifiable as
valid/unspoofed.