[lug] FW: ipchains incongruity

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Mar 22 11:56:33 MST 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the icmp rules, so I won't comment on them. I am
...big snip...

> > ipchains -A output -p icmp -i ppp0 -j icmp-acc
> > ipchains -A output -p tcp -i ppp0 -s 0/0 -d 0/0 smtp -j ACCEPT -l

Sorry, I missed this one, it should accept. But do try a copy of this
that explicitly names 199.45.150.249 and the other ip for port 25. At
this point I'm not sure what is going on, other than something must be
denying prior to accept. Also, the log says that rule #6 in the output
chain is guilty. This the final "blanket" deny, which confirms none of
your accept rules caught the outgoing packet. I wonder if using an
explicit port number would help?