[lug] tar question

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Thu Mar 22 14:38:31 MST 2001

I have a small error that I want to get clarified. I was backing up
some /home directory's on one of my boxes today and got this.

[root at oldschool 22-March-2001]# tar cpf /home/files/backup/22-March-
2001/homedirs-backup-`date '+%d-%B-%Y'`.tar.gz \
> --directory /home/ --exclude=files --exclude=ftp --exclude=httpd --
exclude=postfix --exclude=oldaccounts --exclude=lost+found .
tar: ./glowecon/IrcLog: file changed as we read it

Does this error mean it failed all together? I untarred the archive
afterwards and that Irclog file got backed up fine. I watched the
archive keep growing in size too after the "file changed" error came up
and it was still going thru it's process of backing up all the other
stuff (file was growing). I also got a error free backup a little after
this one and the archive sizes of the before and after were almost
identical in size. This error just makes it seem like it went bad. Am I
just misreading or misinterpreting this error? TIA.

Justin
-----
glow at jackmoves.com
www.jackmoves.com