[lug] Duplicating the Boot partition on a second drive

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Mar 23 15:14:03 MST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> At least the master boot record (and the LILO part) can't just be
> copied since they store references to disk sectors/partitions.

Yes, that much I was aware of.

> I usually run lilo with the -C switch to give it the right configuration
> file and the -r switch to chroot to the right disk.

OK, I'll look into that.  Right now I'm thinking that I should be able to
put an entry for either location into the lilo.conf file.  As I'm typing
this though it seems like lilo.conf hard references the location of the
master boot record.  That is probably why you are using the -C and -r
switches?

> Now, the only thing i'm longing for is a way to tell LILO to
> try a fallback root partition if the main one fails. Any
> ideas ?

No, sounds like this would have to be a modification of Lilo.  Great idea
though!

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)