[lug] TrueType Fonts RPM

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Mar 25 19:45:23 MST 2001

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> Got it. Thanks. Now maybe Netscape will be a little more legible.
>
> On Saturday 24 March 2001 21:56, Rob Riggs wrote:
> > Elyse,
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out. I recently upgraded to RH7, which
> > changed the FTP root directory out from under me without warning
> > me or moving the existing file hierachy.
> >
> > Please try again. It should be there now.
> >
> > Elyse Grasso wrote:
> > > I've been trying to access the microsoft-ttf rpm at the
> > > ftp.pangalactic.org\pub\outgoing url that's been given on the list.
> > > Nothing seems to be there.  Has the rpm been moved to a new location?
> > >
> > > Where can I get it from now?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Elyse Grasso

I couldn't resist downloading the TTF package, and only got a partial
success while installing. It gave this when installed by root on a RH
6.2 machine:
# rpm -v -i microsoft-ttf-1.02-4.noarch.rpm
microsoft-ttf-1.02-4
chkfontpath: error opening /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/fonts.dir,
unwilling to add path

I used fuser and nothing was shown as accessing fonts.dir; root also has
perms to get there and the file exists. Since this is a True Type font
package, I assume that means it failed, although it now shows the rpm as
installed. Oh well.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com