[lug] TrueType Fonts RPM

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Mon Mar 26 20:39:36 MST 2001

Odd. I made the package specifically for RH6.2 (though it also works
perfectly fine on RH7) and have installed it many times. I've never
seen that error before -- nor has it ever been reported before. I am
not sure why one would get that "error opening ..." error, unless the
RPM was unable to invoke ttmkfdir to create the file (though you did
say that it existed).

Sorry... but I've got no answers for you on that one.

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >

> > I couldn't resist downloading the TTF package, and only got a partial
> > success while installing. It gave this when installed by root on a RH
> > 6.2 machine:
> > # rpm -v -i microsoft-ttf-1.02-4.noarch.rpm
> > microsoft-ttf-1.02-4
> > chkfontpath: error opening /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/fonts.dir,
> > unwilling to add path
> >
> > I used fuser and nothing was shown as accessing fonts.dir; root also has
> > perms to get there and the file exists. Since this is a True Type font
> > package, I assume that means it failed, although it now shows the rpm as
> > installed. Oh well.
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
>
> One more note...the command chkfontpath --list does show the font path
> to the directory that it is unwilling to add as being part of the font
> path.
>
> Is the ttf package a local creation?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Rob Riggs