[lug] Few vi problems

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Mar 27 09:24:11 MST 2001

> >                       ^                            ^
>
> You need to yank from the "g" to something way past the end of line?

I guess it's pretty obvious I'm not a very good carrot maker : } The PHP code
and the brackets are what i needed to yank..... I used spaces to seperate the
carrots (no tabs) so I don;t know what happened. Looking at it on NN/iMac it
looks fine right now. But when I read your reply I saw that there were 30 or
so spaces between the carrots. Oh well.. Sorry.

> If you have:

>                  ^                ^
>
> and your cursor is on the first carat, you can do:
>
>    y18<space>
>    yf>
>    y6w
>
> You get the idea...

Yep. Thank you.

> Maybe it's not using vim?  "vim -u ~/.vimrc" should do the trick if it's
> vim, but being as how it's FreeBSD it's likely that it's using Berkeley nvi
> instead.

It's nvi. And man nvi is saying it looks for ~/.nexrc then ~/.exrc and I've
tried both of them as well as virc and vimrc for safe measure. nvi -u ~/.nexrc
just gave me illegal option. I RTFM and nothing in there looks like it could
be the equiv.

Thanks again,

John