[lug] Scary precedent, W32.Winux virus

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Wed Mar 28 16:49:28 MST 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 01:18:27AM +0200, rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> Ah, i see, but than it's more than trivial. I got the impression that
> it can be executed on both OSs. Hmm, thinking about it: how would it
> 'cross-infect' ? If i get the Linux version on a Win box it can't run
> (wrong binformat) and if i get the Win version it'll run, but it's very
> unlikely that it'll find linux binaries to infect (i think i read something
> about the virus scanning the current directory, parent etc. Very unlikely
> places to find linux binaries).

Cross infection is easy for a lot people who are using either Win4Lin or a
dual boot system. They then have both types of executables on their system.

And it's true, if my description is correct, and you got the Windows version
under Linux (or vice versa), that you would be immune. But dual boot systems
would be anything but.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net