[lug] mail uses sendmail instead of postfix

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Wed Mar 28 21:17:19 MST 2001

Just for the records:

Still don't know how to tell mail and mailx to avoid using sendmail and use
postfix instead but I found a solution.

I checked all binaries with name sendmail, but there is only one on the
systems and it looks like it's the original sendmail:

-r-sr-sr-x   1 root     root       462412 Sep 20  2000 /usr/sbin/sendmail

I was able to fix 2 problems:

a.) setuid and setguid bits were not on - causing sendmail to fail
accessing some mailq directory with a permission problem.

b.) sendmail and postfix both used the same /etc/alises.db file causing a
problem with the format. Postfix alias.db is created with postalias,
sendmail's with newaliases and both formats differ. When newaliases is
used, postfix suffers and when postalias is used, sendmail is unhappy.

I changed the alias file in sendmail.cf to aliases.sendmail and ran
newaliases and - see there, it created an aliases.sendmail.db.

Seems to work now.

Samartha